Hello, I’m Hannaleena Hauru (b. 1983), a Finnish filmmaker and media artist living in Helsinki.
Recently I finished my first feature film as a writer-director – Thick Lashes of Lauri Mäntyvaara, produced by Aamu Filmcompany Ltd / Jussi Rantamäki, Finland.
Most known of my short films are “If I Fall” (2007, awarded in Oberhausen, Tampere and Uppsala Film Festivals), “Whispering in a Friends Mouth” (2010, premiered in Berlinale Generations), and “Mercy all the way” (2015, awarded at Tampere and Helsinki short film festival).
I’ve graduated as master of arts from ELO Helsinki Film School, and as bachelor of art and media from TTVO Tampere School of Applied Sciences. Although graduating from two film schools, I consider my true film school has been though NISI MASA European Network of young cinema and the International Kino Movement.
In addition to writing and directing films, I’ve been working as a producer for theatre, films and events, as a teacher, coordinator of events and festivals, and tutoring International film workshops and trainings as the Head of Film Lab of NISI MASA European Network of Young Cinema. I also work occasionally as an editor and as an actress.
You’re welcome to get to know my work here.
You can contact me at:
firstname.lastname [at] gmail.com
- 2015, POLARIZED Award, honorary mention, “Mercy all the way”, theme of the year: “Cultural jamming”
- 2015, Helsinki Short Film Festival, Best fiction film “Mercy all the way”
- 2015, Tampere Film Festival, Special Award from the National Jury “Mercy all the way”
- 2014, Helsinki Short Film Festival, best experimental film “What is the word”
- 2012, Artova Film Festival, special mention “Conflict with a god”
- 2011, FILMINI Short Film Festival, Bulgaria, Special Mention by the jury “Whispering…”
- 2009, Blue Sea Film Festival, Baltic Herring, 3rd prize “Catching”
- 2008, Uppsala International Short Film Festival, Sweden, Grand Prix “If I Fall”
- 2008, 54th Int. Short Film Festival Oberhausen, award of the cinema jury “If I Fall”
- 2008, Tampere Film Festival, award of the youth jury “If I Fall”
- 2007, Blue Sea Film Festival, Baltic Herring 2. award on student category “If I Fall”
- 2006, Vaasa Wildlife – International Nature Film Festival: Best Youth Film, “Tadpoles”
- 2005, Nisi Masa script award “If I Fall”
- 2005, Kinokisa, Joensuu, special mention by the jury “About Disappearing”
Notable festival participations
- 2015, Nordisk Panorama, Nomination for best Nordic Short Film “Mercy all the way”
- 2012, Uppsala International Short Film Festival, “Back to the lover”
- 2010, Cannes Critics’ Week, “Whispering in a friend’s mouth”
- 2010, Berlinale Generations 14+, “Whispering in a friend’s mouth”
- 2010, Oberhausen Film Festival “Catching” and “Whispering in a friend’s mouth”
- 2009, Cannes Critics’ Week, “So there are no poems coming to me”
- 2008, Sao Paolo International Film Festival, Brasil, “If I Fall”
- 2007, Cannes Critics’ Week “If I Fall”
- 2007, Oberhausen Film Festival “If I Fall”
- 2011, Master of Arts, Aalto University School of Art and Design, ELO Helsinki Film School
- 2007, Bachelor of Culture and Arts, Tampere University of Applied Sciences, School of Art & Media, Majoring in Producing
- 2005–2007, Majoring in Drama and Theatre Research, University of Tampere, Finland